Sunday, November 14, 2010

Week 2 Blogs

Well peoples here is yet another piece of useless info added to the net - my blog. I cracked up when I saw the blog named not happy jan because I thought of calling my blog that too!  Anyway... as for the course I am sure I will learn lots of things, however the social networking aspects of course are not things I have ever wanted to engage in personally. I am aware of them and have looked at them several times but feel no desire to actually have an account with them. I have discovered  that having a strong sense of keeping my personal information private and off the net leaves me open to derision however my opinion won't be changing.
     As for week 2's topic of blogs I could see why a library might want to incorporate various aspects of their webpage into a blog, as no doubt everyone has already said. We could use it to
1. Advertise regular events like storytime, rhymetime and library lovers for each branch and for one off special events.
2. Highlight areas of the collection or tie this in with displays in the library. For example we could highlight our genealogy collection, have a display in the library, mention the resources in the local history collection, have links to internet resources like WAGS, SLWA catalogue, State Records of WA, ancestry.com etc
3. Increase awareness of our reading resources and databases like tumblebooks, ebscohost, your tutor, staff picks, novel list etc
plus many other  things. However, I don't think many people would be interested in looking at a library blog. Maybe as part of the catalogue section it might get more traffic, but what do I know maybe people are just desperate for a library blog in their lives!

1 comment:

  1. I see this training as learning what is out there so if people say Flickr, or Twitter or wikis I know what they are talking about. If my manager at work suggests a library wiki, then I will hopefully understand enough to make some suggestions about why that would or would not work :)

    Also, we can always delete our blogs when we've received our certificates :) :)

    ReplyDelete