Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Week 5 Wiki's

     Wiki's - well I have been trying to think of things to say about them after all the various ones I looked at. Some of the wiki's are a bit cluttered and others are quite straight forward like the Antioch Staff training and support wiki http://www.seedwiki.com/?wiki=antioch_university_new_england_library_staff_training_and_support_wiki&page  which looks really clear and useful for staff.  The sections I looked at on the NSW Readers Advisory wiki appear not to be contributed to very often. Which makes me wonder if this was one of those things which seemed like it would be super useful but perhaps isn't used that much.  http://readersadvisory.wetpaint.com/  The info on the wiki re genre author lists, read-a-likes, websites to help staff etc is useful, however I wouldn't look at this if I had a patron query I couldn't answer myself - there are other quicker resources on the web to use. If you were looking for ideas to do a display or making readers advisory bookmarks etc then this wiki along with the others I looked at to do with libraries would be helpful.
     If we wanted to make a wiki for staff use only we could use it for gathering info on reader advisory, ideas for children's activities, library lovers, displays etc, procedures, planning/co-ordinating events.
     If we wanted to add a link for a public wiki to our web page for patrons it could have sections for Adults, Teens and Junior with discussion headings like Book reviews, Recommended reads, Read-a-likes, Themed lists, recommended DVDs/ Cd'sgeneral discussion etc. As staff we could contribute by adding to these areas but perhaps also add things we think might be of interest such as a homework section where we could list where to find helpful library resources such as essay writing books, literature study guides, encyclopedias, links to Your Tutor, our online databases and any other web pages we can think of. Of course we would have to frequently check the wiki to make sure there is not anything being posted that is offensive.

5 comments:

  1. It would be good to be able to have the sections you taled about available to patrons but it would be time consuming keeping it up to date but I agree probabvly worthwhile.
    Cheers Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't know if it would be worthwhile or used very much. I was just mentioning what you could do if you wanted to and had all the time in the world... with nothing else to do...and you really loved wiki's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you it may be usefull but would the time updating and monitoring be time well spent.

    ReplyDelete