Well last night I subscribed to several web pages picked at random to get news feeds. This morning I have 131 messages from them! If this was really my google reader account that I was interested in using I could see myself unsubscribing from some of these down the track as clearly this might get a bit overwhelming if you didn't check it regularly. However if there are particular topics that you are really interested in or that you are studying it would be quite helpful to have the latest info delivered to your reader account.
The web pages I chose to get news feeds from were
1. The New York times book review http://www.nytimes.com/pages/books/index.html?partner=rss&emc=rss
2. Powerhouse Museum Photo of the day http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/imageservices
3. TV Guide http://www.tvguide.com/
4. State Library of WA http://slwa.wordpress.com/
5. Learning 2.0 Basics http://swanlibraries.blogspot.com/
If Swan libraries had a blog added to our web page then we could have the RSS feeds option included. It would be good to be able to limit what information you receive too. The New York Public Library has a blog and RSS service. You can choose to subscribe to all posts or limit to news, events for adults, teens or children, exhibitions etc., which is great to be able to filter out stuff that is not relevant to you. An adult without children would probably not want to know about school holiday activities or a post about storytime! If you want to check it out their blog here is the link.
http://www.nypl.org/blog
As library clerks/ librarians it could be helpful to subscribe to industry relevant RSS feeds so that we are apprised of any new ideas, technologies, products etc that may help improve our library service. For example you could subscribe to ALIA the Australian Library and Information Association http://www.alia.org.au/rss/, their feeds are broken down into news, blog posts, media releases, inquiries, and job vacancies.
If you have someone who just can't get enough RSS feeds in their life here is the perfect xmas pressie for them ....
http://www.shoppingblog.com/blog/602095
Haha - love the pillow :P And also thanks for the info about the Powerhouse Museum's photo of the day! Very interesting indeed :)
ReplyDeleteAs an RSS junkie, yep I do subscribe to lots of library and librarian blogs :) Every now and then I just go through and mark everything read and start again :)
ReplyDeleteI found the same problem, so many msg the next day! So I have had to edit my RSS feeds to suit me! So far it is working.
ReplyDeleteI have to agree...with 131 messages the next day, I would be a little more than overwhelmed. Where do people find the time to read all this info. I guess we need to be selective on what RSS feeds we are suscribing too.
ReplyDelete