Facebook and Twitter are web sites that I have looked at many times but have never joined as
1) I have no interest in putting my thoughts, photos, personal information etc on the internet.
2) I have concerns over identity theft and privacy issues.
3) I would rather spend my time doing something else
Whilst facebook and twitter are not of interest for me, I understand that if people have family and friends who live interstate/overseas it is a useful tool to keep them up to date with your life and theirs. I found both were easy to join and use as I expected them to be; if it was complicated you wouldn't have so many millions of people using it every day.
I did think it was interesting that one of the links for week 7 to look at was discussing that most tweets are never responded to [click here to read] "A recent study of more than 2 billion tweets over the space of two months shows that nearly three quarters of all Tweets are ignored and therefore not replied to or passed on to others" so there is basically just a lot of (mostly) pointless stuff going on twitter, with little interest in commenting on it, but is anyone reading it? I did subject searches on AFL, ashes and cricket and saw various thoughts on what's happening with both, someone managed to combine both with this comment which cracked me up "Watching the Australian Cricket Team is like watching the #FremantleDockers in their first 15 seasons..." It appears that depending on what tag someone uses depends on whether you will see it on the search results so once again this relies on what people choose for example there were many combinations of theashes, ashes, cricketaustralia, cricket, barmy army etc all discussing cricket. By clicking on these links you got to further tweets on the topic. My twitter name is libtraining in case you want to be dazzled by my tweets...
The SLWA facebook pages has only a few people who are commenting on or 'liking' some posts, I don't know how often it is looked at, I certainly never have until now, I also wasn't aware that Ellenbrook library had a facebook page until reading it in this weeks course notes. Libraries could use facebook and twitter to keep patrons up to date with events, information etc that is happening at the library just like RSS feeds. I guess it is up to each library to decide in how many ways they want to advertise themselves online and if they have the staff time to deliver this 'service' to patrons.
I've been on Facebook for quite a while now, my husband doesn't like me being on there because he has the same concerns about identity theft etc the same as you do, but I think if you don't have a lot of information on there in the first place then I can't see it happening (crossing fingers).
ReplyDeleteLibrary Ninja is glad to hear that whilst you have no interest in using these social media platforms, you do understand and appreciate that they are extremely useful to some.
ReplyDelete